Firework Safety Tips - Protect Your Eyes From Firework Related Injuries



Firework Safety Tips
Protect Your Eyes from Firework Mishaps

4th of July is almost here!  Hey, I’m Dr. Vijay Shenai from True Focus Eye Care.  As we prepare to celebrate our Independence Day, I want to share some ways to protect our eyes from 4th of July mishaps.  We get quite a few emergencies slightly before and after the fourth. So I hope you are able to have a great time full of fun and excitement without the chance of pain!

What does 4th of July look like for you and your family? Do you go see Fireworks at your favorite show? Have family get-togethers? Go to the beach or a lake? Have a cookout or BBQ / steak or veggie kabobs? Watch a parade? Get some sparklers and put on your own show at home or, better yet, someone else's home? Wear Red, White and Blue outfits? Make a cake or cupcakes with little stars sprinkles on them? Well, what do I do to prepare for this time of the year... I’m getting ready for eye emergencies!  I keep my phone close to me and get ready to say, “get some ice, don’t touch it, and I’ll see you at the office!”

Please, don’t be one of those people this year.  And if you are, don’t wait to go get help!  Firework related eye injuries are increasing every year.  So I’m going to share a few ways to help you keep your eyes safe this year.

  • First, keep a safe distance from the fireworks.  You don’t have to be the tough dude in the group that lights the thing and slowly walks back like, “What?  I don’t care if I lose an ear.  I ain’t scared of anything.”  Well, a healthy fear and respect of potentially dangerous things can keep you safe!!

  • Don’t grab the misfires or duds.  It’s not worth it.  I mean what are you going to do with it?  Shake it and see if you can figure out why it didn’t work, put a new wick in it and try again?  No, we normally just throw it away anyway, so leave it.

  • No matter how simple a firework appears remember it can still cause damage if misused.  Sparklers cause about 1,400 eye injuries a year.  What adult can’t think of a time where the red hot end of the sparkler almost burned a hole in your pants or shirt when you were a kid.  I even had one fall between my toes once when I was a kid. (Side note: wear shoes, not flip-flops)

  • Lastly, wear safety glasses.  You can pick some up from most home improvement stores or convenience stores. You can find some safety glasses that are stylish and comfortable online or sometimes at your local optical.  They don’t have to be clunky and awkward. I attached some links below of a company that has quality and stylish safety glasses.

  • Check Wind Direction! The majority of the emergencies that I see are from debris falling into the eye after a perfectly successful show.  The ashes have to go somewhere.  Make sure to think about wind direction, as well.

Alright, none of this is meant to scare you from enjoying fireworks. 
I love fireworks!  I just want you to stay safe so that you can enjoy it.   I hope you all have an awesome Independence Day!  

Dr. Vijay Shenai
True Focus Eye Care
Optometrist

👓Where to find these Safety Glasses👓
Masso Safety Glasses:
https://bit.ly/3dXXWCs
Vero Tactical - Camo:
https://bit.ly/3eVtKJO
Vero Z87.1 -
https://bit.ly/2BytT7i

👓Find True Focus Eye Care on Social Media:

Comments